Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Coolest Thing Ever

Or at least, the coolest thing this week...

I have just been led to
BookMooch, which for a bibliophile is an absolute GODSEND. I have dozens of books on my shelves that have either been listed on Half.com for years, or I have never read/will never read again. But on BookMooch, I can get rid of them, and earn points to get copies of books I do want!

For example, one of the most important books of my childhood was Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow - out of print, expensive even when available. It's a historical novel set in Charleston during the Revolutionary War, and I practically memorized portions of it. I have just obtained a copy through BookMooch from Canada. I'm able to track down favorite novels I've been meaning to pick up for years for my library, but never wanted to spend the money to actually purchase them.

You earn 1/10th of a point for each book you list in your give-away inventory, and a full point for each book that is requested from you and that you send out. I'm about to send out my 6th book, have listed almost 100 books in my inventory of give-aways, and have a long wishlist of books that I could go ahead and get now, or I'm waiting for someone else to offer - like, Darlene O'Steen's The Proper Stitch, which is wildly expensive but very, very desireable for stitchers such as myself.

No comments: