Monday, March 20, 2006

A Lovely Evening

I had Supper Club last night, and it was one of those really great evenings. It's a chance to get to know other folks from my church, and I initially signed up with no great enthusiasm beyond knowing that I needed to do it; but this particular group is full of such intelligent individuals who can talk about ANYTHING, that we always end up having really good conversations.

This time I was at the Kids' Table; the Happy Young Newlyweds who were hosting, the Single Guy, and myself. We had one of the most intelligent, interesting and far-flung conversations on religion, Nashville, history, work, and travel that I've been a part of in a very long time. I forgot what it was like to be around academics & intellectuals - there's always something interesting to talk about! In the other room with the Grownups there was an occasionally LOUD battle about PostModernism and Generational Tendencies being cheerfully fought.

I don't quite know if this evening was important or not, but it lingers in my mind; it does make me wonder whether or not I've let myself get really sloppy mentally. Everyone is always taking classes or reading books or stretching themselves intellectually; but the group I usually spend Sunday nights with in general doesn't really go down that conversational path, despite the fact the most of them are teachers and intellectuals in their own right. We talk, but it's rarely so rich. It makes me want to try and converse on a higher level with my friends.

No comments: