Saturday, March 17, 2007

Dear Mr. Gore:

Dear Al,

I have just watched An Inconvenient Truth. I believe you are telling the truth. But I feel an almost overwhelming sense of hopelessness despite my understanding; that of a person trying to empty the ocean with a teaspoon.

I learned, years back, that if I do very well when I am given one specific task; one seemingly innocuous but neccessary component of a bigger picture. My parents remodeled an old house, and I took on the job of finding new plates for every single electrical switch and port in the house. I measured, I counted, I picked colors, I downloaded catalogs of available styles... it was my one task, and I did all of it - I bought them, I installed them, and it's my one small piece of ownership in that house.

Can you please suggest to me one small but necessary task that will actually make a difference in turning the tide of global warming? Something with an actual result that I can look at and know it's doing some good?

You came and spoke at my high school back in the 80s, and you were the only politician to do so who didn't talk down to us, who gave sensible answers to unpleasant questions, and who actually said something interesting. I have been a Conservative, I am now a Moderate, and I wish to work with my supposed enemy to fix this.

You know, if you had succeeded to the presidency, this film would not have been made, and the Republican House and Senate would have shot down all your efforts to make significant environmental changes. I think God had a better idea in mind.

Yours sincerely,

No comments: