Sunday, May 06, 2007

Expanding Boundaries

I was asked to sing backup for a cover band called "Steamboat" in the next 2 weeks - just 5 songs, nothing very complicated. But I've only ever sung backup (or sung with a band, for that matter) 2 or 3 times in my life, but this is literally the easiest gig I could ever have - 4:30 on a Friday afternoon, as opposed to the usual hole-in-the-wall venue, on a weeknight at 9:30 pm-but-it-really-starts-at-10:45-because-everyone's-running-behind gig I am often invited to. I rarely go, as I am Exceedingly Lazy and also don't enjoy concerts unless I'm getting to sing. I get bored just sitting (or standing, which is worse) and listening to music. If they would let me sit and do cross-stitch during a concert, I'd be more willing to attend. Although the light is practically non-existent, so it's not really good for fine embroidery.

We're singing Proud Mary, Think (Aretha), Oh! Darling (Paul McCartney, I think), Chain of Fools... and they just added a Pink Floyd song. Me. Singing Pink Floyd. I don't even know any of their songs. Never heard The Wall. Don't really care to.

But this is a great expansion of my boundaries - I am singing backup in a rock band, and one of the songs is from Pink Floyd. Imagine!

1 comment:

Mike Howell said...

Bonus points for capitalizing "Exceedingly Lazy." I'm also surprised at your reaction to Pink Floyd. Get a copy of "Dark Side of the Moon", put on big puffy headphones, dim the lights, close your eyes and just groove for an hour. It is truly what CD's were invented for.

Don't forget to post the whole set list for your concert.